Careers, Information and Guidance
To be able to access independent and impartial careers advice and guidance at the right time is vitally important and the Isle of Wight Studio School is committed to ensuring that all students have this opportunity.
We believe that careers guidance can
- Inspire students by identifying a careers direction to work towards
- Can motivate students to gain the grades they need for their chosen careers or plan the steps that they need in order to achieve their aims
- Can engage students in their studies by demonstrating how subjects at school relate to employability skills and future opportunities
Careers education is featured throughout the school experience with weekly work placements, guest speakers, visits, project based learning and business networking.
In addition to the curriculum and careers advise provided by tutors, the school provides:
- 1:1 careers interview with Island Futures in year 10
- Close links with local colleges and further training providers
- 1:1 practice interview with a member of our business community in year 11
- Business networking opportunities
- Weekly work placement
- Entitlement to a broad enrichment offer
- Visits to higher training providers
- Visits to employers
We work closely with the EBP (Education Business Partnership) and Southern University Network.
For additional advice and information regarding post-16 opportunities, including colleges, apprenticeships, employment, training see the links below.
Island Futures provide independent information, advice and guidance to support young people to participate in education, employment and training. In partnership with schools, the team provides fully qualified and independent careers advisers for students to access within the majority of the island’s secondary schools.
Island Futures Website
IOW Family Centres
Isle of Wight Jobs
Their focus is as an employment resource developed by Islanders, for Islanders, on delivering a local and free community resource. Empowering the Island community to improve their chances of finding employment and training opportunities on the Island; whilst importantly giving local employers a quick and easy, cost effective recruitment tool. Opportunities for apprenticeships can often be found here.
Support on apprenticeships and how to apply for them:
|Studio School Leaver Destinations (2015-17)|
|Year 11 leavers who were in each destination category for the last 3 years for Studio School.|
|Sixth Form College/School||8||32||27|
|Other Ed inc. Traineeship||0||3||1|
|Non-Emp Training (FT)||0||0||0|
|Emp (FT) inc. Apprenticeship||0||4||6|
|EET (no RPA) inc. PT Emp||0||2||0|
|NEET – Available||0||1||1|
|NEET – Not Available||0||0||0|
|Not Participating Total||0||3||2|